5 Nov 2008

Birthday books

I did very well on my birthday this year and have books to show for it. Good old Boris Johnson is funny in 'Have I got views for you' I havent finished this yet and Im just dipping into it when I have time. It is a collection of pieces written at various times about subjects such as Manners and Morals to Literary Heroes. Ive only read the collection of his fast cars articles for GQ before but this book is good for a laugh.

Brugmansia and Datura is the seminal text or so it seems about my beloved Brugmansia. Previously I have only been able to get info about the plants from american websites but this book covers all aspects of Brug care and is full of beautiful amazing photos.



I can recommend the 12 million dollar shark to anyone interested in modern art. Especially those who know that guy who stuffed a shark and sold it as art. It is a very interesting and completely readable look at the transactions that take place behind the scenes. Lots about auction houses, dealers, commissions and publicity.

Thank you Rich for Nanny Ogg's cookbook. I am not embarrassed to say I have always been a great Terry Pratchett fan and of course since his illness was made public every spin off book from the discworld is greatly appreciated. It is written in the first person in the saucy voice of Gytha the witch as in Masquerade.

Again I haven't finished the Lost Gardens of Heligan book but when I do find the time it is a treat. It is a real life Secret Garden and the story is totally gripping and fantastic. I love the magic of such an epic garden that was abandoned and then rediscovered.
Little People in the City starts with a comedy intro by Will Self, this book has taken the place of the bunny suicides for dip in humour. I like the little people hefting Wotzits around the London pavement.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails