3 Oct 2009

Lewisia and NEW SHOES


Me and mum went looking for some winter cabbages to plant in the now empty vegetable bed/butterfly colony. We made a huge first time mistake and did not put up netting around the purple spouting broccoli and sprouts so we got hundreds of cabbage white butterflies which destroyed all the plants. Turned out the local garden centre didnt have any winter cabagges so I bought a Lewisia instead. I didnt know what it was and only bought it for the pretty pink flowers. But have since learnt that it is an alpine plant, that it originates from the US. It is a clump-forming, evergreen perennial with rosettes of dark green succulent leaves and grows in well-drained, stony soil. I have just repotted mine asap as it was in soggy peaty soil when I bought it. This plant is written about as being hard to please on the internet but by potting it into at least 50 per cent sand according to the Ashwood Nurseries page I found via google hopefully mine will survive.

On to a totally different topic. I have new shoes, god bless Marks and Spencer where I bought these yesterday. Im saving for New Zealand which I leave for in a few weeks, but it will be my birthday before I go so contributions from Nana and Grandma paid for them.

My lovely new shoes!!!

2 comments:

  1. I love Lewisia and grow one or two in the greenhouse as the cold wet winters are not good for them I was surprsied to see it flowering so late in the year.

    Dig the boots.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What pretty flowers. I love your new shoes too! You will have to post photos of your trip to New Zealand.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails