26 Aug 2009

Common or Viviparous Lizard - Lacerta vivipara / Zootoca vivipara

Since spring time I have being seeing lizards around the garden. First lizard I saw had absolutely no tail, then more recently Ive seen what looks like the same lizard with a black stump. I see the lizards basking in the sun usually near to pots, or seed trays, this is presumably so they can run for cover and so they stay close to a supply of insects.


Lizard with no tail, This photo was taken in March 09. I now know March to be the month Common or Viviparous Lizard wake up from hibernation.


What we think is the same lizard in July. This one appears to be regrowing a tail.


I looked up the lizard and on the brilliant website Reptiles and Amphibians of the UK.



It helps that there are very few native British reptiles or Amphibians so it wasnt hard to find. It could only have been the rare Sand Lizard (Lacerta agilis) some of which are found near to where I live in Hampshire except that these are much larger than those I have seen.

1 comment:

  1. I'm suprized Sheepington hasn't got him yet....There is still time!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails